Monday, August 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM |  
As far as the storm goes we have had some little rain storms that were pretty cool but nothing too big. I've heard from members that a hurricane might be coming but I don't know. Nothing too serious right now. I'll let you know if I hear anything else.
Things here are going really great! We saw the Noriegas again and they came to church again this week and they even bought us some horchata because I said that I liked it so she just gave it to us. They really are the nicest people ever. So we taught them and as of right now, all four of them are getting baptized this Sunday! Oh we are so excited for them! They all seem really excited too, especially Hermana Noriega. She tries so hard to do what's best for her kids and I think she understands that this is it. So I'll take pictures and tell you all about the baptism next week.
Everything else is going really well. We're doing a lot of tracting to find some new investigators and we're finding some really cool people. We're finding a lot of weird people too. Like one guy we talked to was a pastor at another church. He said he'd read the Book of Mormon but I don't think he did because all he talked about was Joseph Smith and his magic glasses. We tried to explain that he translated with the power of god with the Urim and Thumum but he just called them magic glasses and said that he doesn't believe in any "land of moron" prophets (he said that and I thought how old are you? You can't come up with something more original than "mispronouncing" Mormon to sound like moron?) But we smoked him and he ended up just running away from us because he knew we were right. It was sweet. I'm able to speak a little bit more Spanish now. I talk to people about the first vision and the Book of Mormon a lot and I still mess up with some of the past tense stuff but it's getting better.
Oh zone conference was awesome! President Newman is such a great guy. He's very powerful and intimidating but very warm at the same time. You can just tell he loves this work. And he pushes us, oh man he's crazy! We got 117 baptisms last month as a mission and he just keeps pushing it higher and higher. We have a goal of 1050 this year and I don't doubt at all that we'll be able to reach it. We learned a lot of good things about what he calls gathering through the grove (our door approach) and how when we talk about the first vision it's not to teach about Joseph Smith but it's to show people that God wanted everyone to know that He, His Son, and the Holy Ghost are three separate people. He explained to us that he didn't need to come down and visit Joseph, Jesus could have done that by himself, but so many people kinda forgot about God or thought he and Jesus were the same that he came and showed himself to Joseph. It's really good to tell people, especially the Catholic Mexicans we talk to so much. We have another conference tomorrow for just the Spanish speaking missionaries tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that. I just hope I don't make myself look like too much of an idiot if we do role plays or something. But things are going great and we're having a blast in little ol' Crescent City, Florida. I love you all and I miss you!
Love Elder Johnson
Posted by Called to Serve Labels:

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum.